New Orleans Solar America City Project
The City of New Orleans has received a two-year grant as the result
of being named a 2007 Solar America City by the U.S. Department of
Energy. The purpose of the New Orleans Solar America City Project is to
accelerate the adoption of
solar technology in New Orleans.
The City of New Orleans will complete a comprehensive city plan
expansion of solar technology; explore and evaluate ways in which the
City can support or encourage adoption of solar
technology; reduce or eliminate obstacles to solar adoption; stimulate
the supply side of the solar marketplace; continue
the process of recruiting private sector businesses to operate here to
be involved in the supply of solar technology; and
begin to train developers, builders and craftspeople about the
technology, and educate the public on the benefits and affordablity of
solar power technology for there homes and businesses.
The New Orleans Solar America City Project is a collaborative
effort lead by the City of New Orleans in partnership with US
Department of Energy, Alliance for Affordable Energy, FutureProof,Global Green
, and Louisiana CleanTech Network.
U.S. Department of Energy - Solar America Cities
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar America Initiative seeks to form strategic partnerships with U.S. cities. Through these partnerships, the Solar America Cities program intends to help accelerate the adoption of solar technology at the
local level. This includes engaging city governments as important end
users of energy, key intermediaries to other end users within their
jurisdiction, and regulatory entities.
U.S. Department of Energy is partnering with cities that are
committed to achieving a sustainable solar infrastructure through a
comprehensive, city-wide approach to solar technology that facilitates
mainstream adoption and provides a model for other cities to follow.
The program will provide assistance to cities in their plans implement a variety of strategies with the desired outcomes being:
To learn more about Solar America Cities and see a list of the 2007 Solar America Cities click here.
- Development of a comprehensive city government approach to solar implementation, involving key stakeholders, utilities, and private partners
- A widespread increase in solar adoption
- Large-scale solar installations
- A reduction in market barriers through activities such as streamlining solar-friendly permitting and zoning
- Creation of city-level solar incentives (e.g., solar rebates, financial assistance, tax credits, property tax abatements, and/or tax incentives to solar manufacturers who locate in the city)
- An increase in public awareness through promotions and citywide education
- Inclusion of renewable energy curriculum material in the public schools
- Integration of solar energy into city planning and emergency preparedness plans (e.g., schools as shelters or natural disaster relief)
- Solar America Cities serve as models for other cities.
Solar Training - Feb. 21-25 2011
Solar Electric Installer training will be offered in New Orleans February . 21-25
Comments and Suggestions ?
We would like to hear from you ! Please sends us your comments and suggestions - tell us what you would like to see on this site !
Click her to send E-mail
50% State Tax Credit NOW!
Available towards the cost of
solar power for your home or apartment. learn more
How to Receive the 50% State Tax Credit
What you need to know to qualify your purchase and receive your tax credit is included in these Louisiana Department of Revenue Rules for " Wind or Solar System Tax Credits" .
To learn more about the New Orleans Solar America Cities project partners click on the logos below: